Newfoundland and Labrador (Central) Program Specialist
Do you live close to the central region of Newfoundland and Labrador? Are you an educator who likes technology and trying new things? Do you believe that learning happens when students can dig into a project? If so, then we have a Project Specialist 1-year contract waiting for you!
About Brilliant Labs
Brilliant Labs is an Atlantic Canadian-based charity. We are a hands-on, experiential learning platform providing youth with opportunities to develop coding and digital skills. When creativity, innovation and technology are applied to projects supporting the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), along with a socially responsible entrepreneurial spirit, educators and youth can effect change within their classrooms, curricula, communities, throughout Atlantic Canada, and beyond.
Our Mission & Vision
To work with young people, educators, and community leaders to develop creativity, innovation, digital skills, and a socially responsible entrepreneurial mindset. With your help and our team, we want to provide every educator and youth in Atlantic Canada, and beyond, with the opportunity to develop the necessary coding and digital skills required to create, innovate and inspire a future of sustainable development and growth throughout communities here at home and beyond!
1 Year Contract – April 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023
This position supports K-12 schools and community-based groups and organizations to help youth foster an innovative and socially responsible and sustainable entrepreneurial spirit.
The successful candidate will be working to support teachers and students, and working with school, school board, Dept of Education, and local community partners throughout the region. The hours for this position are flexible and will vary depending on current projects. The individual selected will be responsible for scheduling their hours to meet the 37.5 hours a week requirement. Location will be in the central region of Newfoundland and Labrador. A community-based makerspace is in development for the area and it is expected that this will form the basis for your operations.
Brilliant Labs supports the integration of creativity, innovation, coding, and an entrepreneurial spirit within classrooms and communities. The successful applicant must demonstrate both an ability to be self-motivated and work well as part of a collaborative team. Ongoing training and professional guidance will be provided.
If you meet the requirements below and are hard working, organized, passionate about youth education in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) we’d like to hear from you.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Coordinating efforts with the Brilliant Labs Team in Newfoundland and Labrador and throughout Atlantic Canada.
- Supporting youth and educators in integrating digital skills and coding and technology with curricula and community, specifically in the central region of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Reporting progress to the Provincial Coordinator.
- Developing and supporting youth led school and community based makerspaces and innovative projects, specifically in the central region of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Implementation of academic and extra-curricular coding and innovation programming in the region.
- Assisting and leading professional learning sessions for educators and community members in the region.
- Facilitating special events to raise awareness about coding, innovation, technology, and an entrepreneurial spirit in schools and local communities in the region.
- Post-secondary education or equivalent experience required.
- Applicants should have knowledge of the K-12 education system.
- Demonstrate perseverance and a passion for learning and technology.
- Ability to work from various locales and travel to support schools and communities. Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to organize, and learn to maintain, transport, and deploy technological equipment such as 3D printers and robotics. You will be responsible for adding software, tracking equipment, delivering equipment, fixing equipment and demonstrating how to use the materials.
- Ability to adapt schedules to fit the needs of schools and community organizations and make changes and/or reschedule (due to school cancellations, ’emergency’ last minute project support, etc.). Flexibility in work hours when required.
- Experience with project management and delivery is an asset.
- Experience or knowledge of the Google Suite is an asset, but not required
- Previous experience working with electronics, coding, multi-media production is an asset.
- Have a current or be able to obtain a valid Criminal Record and vulnerable sector check.
- Brilliant Labs adheres to Newfoundland and Labrador provincial Public Health Measures and Guidelines. All staff visiting schools and public centres must be vaccinated in accordance to the provincial Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
How To Apply
If interested, please email a cover letter and resume before March 28th, 2022, to Amanda Sherman, Brilliant Labs Human Resource Manager at Amanda.S@brilliantlabs.ca
Brilliant Labs is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
Duties begin April 1st available to begin.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.